Scheduled carcinogen licence

What it is and how to apply.

About the Licence

Carcinogenic substances are hazardous substances that can cause cancer. There are two classes of substance that WorkSafe issues licences for:

  • Class 1 (Schedule 10 carcinogen in a laboratory only)
  • Class 2 (Schedule 11 carcinogen in a workplace other than laboratory).

You must have a licence if you intend to use schedule 10 or 11 carcinogenic substances.

Class 1: Schedule 10 carcinogenic substances

  • 2-Acetylaminofluorene
  • Aflatoxins
  • 4-Aminodiphenyl
  • Benzidine and its salts
  • Bis(chloromethyl) ether
  • Chloromethyl methyl ether (technical grade)
  • 4-Dimethylaminoazobenzene
  • 2-Naphthylamine and its salts
  • 4-Nitrodiphenyl.

Class 2: Schedule 11 carcinogenic substances

  • Acrylonitrile
  • Benzene – when used as a feedstock containing more than 50% benzene by volume
  • 3,3'-Dichlorobenzidine and its salts
  • Diethyl sulfate
  • Dimethyl sulfate
  • Ethylene dibromide – when used as a fumigant
  • 4,4'-Methylene bis(2-chloroaniline)
  • 2-Propiolactone
  • o-Toluidine and o-Toluidine hydrochloride
  • Vinyl chloride monomer.

Fee summary


Per hour (up to a maximum of $1,306.10).

5 years

This licence is valid for 5 years.

You will be notified of this fee after your application has been processed and an inspection has been conducted in the intended workplace where the scheduled carcinogen will be used.

A licence processing fee of 7.9 fee units per hour with a maximum of 86.9 fee units applies to this application.

Fees for a carcinogen licence are based on fee units and subject to change each financial year on 1 July.

Apply or renew the licence

  1. Download application form

    Note: You must complete a separate application form for each scheduled carcinogen.

  2. Gather supporting documents

Site assessment before a licence is granted

WorkSafe will inspect all carcinogenic substance licence, and licence renewal, application sites to assess and verify the information provided in the application. The criteria for renewal are the same as for initial licence issue.

Risk Profile

Employers and self-employed persons require a licence to use a Schedule 1 carcinogen in a laboratory. Use of Schedule 1 carcinogens is prohibited in workplaces other than laboratories.

Employers and self-employed persons require a licence to use a Schedule 2 carcinogen in a  workplace other than a laboratory.

Applicant’s legislative requirements

To apply for a licence to use Schedule 1 or 2 carcinogenic substances, applicants must:

  • Provide all the information required in the Licence to use a Scheduled Carcinogen  application form and submit the form to the Authority; and
  • Provide additional information if requested by the Authority to complete the application.

Related information