Vehicles licensed to carry dangerous goods and removal of 'metal' labels

Licensed dangerous goods vehicles no longer need to be issued a 'licence label' to be attached to a road vehicle.


Removal of Licence 'metal' labels

The Victoria Government approved the Dangerous Goods (Transport by Road or Rail) and (Explosives) Amendment Regulation 2017 (Regulation) to align with recent changes made to the national model dangerous goods laws.

The amendments that took effect on 1 March 2017, mean that licensed dangerous goods vehicles no longer need to be issued a 'licence label' to be attached to a road vehicle.

This change is a red tape reduction initiative which will further reduce the costs to the dangerous goods industry, align with changes already made in NSW and WA and dispense with registration labels on all Victorian road vehicles.

What does this change mean for you?

The change in the Regulation means that dangerous goods vehicles licensed from 1 March 2017 (new and renewals) have not been issued with a licence label.

WorkSafe Victoria continues to issue paper dangerous goods vehicle licences.

Although not a regulatory requirement, it is advisable that licensed dangerous goods vehicles drivers carry some form of licence documentation for production if requested by a member of the Police, a WorkSafe Inspector, or a member of the Emergency Services.

A vehicle licence is required for:

  • a road tank vehicle having a tank as an integral part of the vehicle or attached or intended to be attached to the vehicle. This includes a semi-trailer or a unit of a B-Double combination and demountable tanks that may be attached to a vehicle that then operates as a road tank vehicle.
  • a tank trailer which is a dog trailer with tank attached
  • a rigid , semi-trailer (including a unit of a B-Double) or dog trailer used to transport IBCs or portable tanks and may have a flat deck, van or pantechnicon body, or curtain side or bulk bin

If the vehicle has a tank forming part of, or attached to, or intended to be attached to the vehicle, the tank must be an approved tank.

A vehicle licence is not required for:

  • the prime mover of a semi-trailer or combination vehicle
  • a trailer with 1 axle group or single axle and a fifth wheel coupling, designed to convert a semi-trailer into a dog trailer

Dangerous Goods Transport Restrictions

A person is prohibited from transporting some classes of dangerous goods through Melbourne CBD and CityLink tunnels.

Tank Design Approval

All tanks whether forming part of, or attached to or intended to be attached to the vehicle, that are required to carry dangerous goods must have their design approved by the Authority.

To have a design approved the applicant must submit copies of technical drawings and the information required under Chapter 6.9 of the Code.

For more information on applying for a tank design approval reference should be made to the Approval - Road Tank Design Advice.

More information