Immediate financial support following a work-related death
We appreciate that you may not be ready to lodge a claim immediately after the death has occurred. As a claim can take some time for it to be determined, we have immediate support packages available to offer you financial assistance and support while you wait for your claim to be processed. We're here to assist and support you where possible throughout this difficult time.
The immediate support package may be offered when
- the cause of death of a family member was related to work duties or employment
- your family member was determined to be a 'worker' under the Victorian workers' compensation legislation at the time of death
The immediate support package will not be offered in cases where the cause of death was a heart attack or stroke injury, disease, suicide or is unknown.
Immediate support payments that may be paid
Depending on your circumstances, the following payments may be available:
- reasonable costs of medical and like services for the worker (such as ambulance, hospital, medical treatment) up to $9,290*
- funeral costs up to $15,230*
- counselling for immediate family members by a medical practitioner, registered psychologist or a social worker (approved by WorkSafe) up to $6,600* to be shared between all immediate family members
- a weekly pension to the worker's partner for a period of 12 weeks from the date of the worker's death
- reasonable travel and accommodation costs of up to $5,210* to be shared between immediate family members to attend a funeral service which is more than 100km away
*The figures provided apply to deaths that occur on or after 15 October 2017. Maximum amounts are indexed 1 July each year. Figures are correct as at 1 July 2019.
How I can receive an immediate support payment?
You do not need to apply for this or fill out any forms.
A WorkSafe agent will gather the required information from you and others (such as the employer of your family member) in order to consider making a payment.
If you are eligible for the payments, the WorkSafe agent will be in contact with you to make arrangements for payment.
If a weekly pension is to be paid, the WorkSafe agent will ask you to complete a Tax File Number Declaration Form and an Electronic Funds Transfer form.
Information and support you might need
Effects of an immediate support payment on a compensation claim
The WorkSafe agent's decision to make or not make an immediate support payment to you will not determine your entitlement to compensation. You should still complete a claim for compensation following a work-related death so that your entitlement to compensation can be assessed and determined in the usual way. If you received a weekly pension under the immediate support package, the 12 week period will not be paid again if your claim for compensation is accepted.
Find support with Ask Izzy
Support services you can use any time you need extra support including food parcels, housing help, financial aid, mental wellness, specialty health assistance and counselling.