Treating medical professional: Return to work roles

What is the role of your treating medical professional during the return to work process?


Treating medical practitioner

After a work-related injury or illness occurs, you may visit your treating medical practitioner (usually a GP) who will assess your work capacity and may provide you with a certificate of capacity.

Treating medical practitioners are responsible for the overall management of an injured worker’s injury or illness. This includes primary care of the injury or illness, making an appropriate diagnosis and referrals, monitoring progress and outcomes and facilitating your return to safe work.

When you visit your treating medical practitioner you should provide them with information about your claim, employer, WorkSafe agent and work duties.