Read the Regulations
The duties referred to in this guidance are contained in Part 5.3 of the Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 2017– (OHS Regulations).
You must read the legislation in addition to this guidance.
- This guidance refers to Regulations 421, 422 and 423 of the Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 2017, which are duties for operators of prescribed mines.
- Operators of any mine can use this guidance to help comply with Regulations 404, 405 and 406.
- For an overview of the relevant Regulations, read Duties for mine operators.
What is a safety assessment
A safety assessment is an integral part of a mine's safety management system.
It involves consulting with employees to create a thorough, systematised and documented investigation of major mining hazard events.
How to conduct a safety assessment
There are six steps to conducting a successful safety assessment.
- Identify mining hazards
- Conduct a risk assessment
- Identify and adopt risk control measures
- Collate the required documentation
- Review and revise the safety assessment
- Conduct a safety assessment