Dangerous goods driver licence

This licence allows you to drive a vehicle transporting dangerous goods.

Apply or renew a licence


About the licence

You must hold a dangerous goods driver licence to transport dangerous goods:

  • in a receptacle with a capacity of more than 500 litres
  • in a receptacle where the dangerous goods weigh more than 500 kilograms
  • in intermediate bulk containers (IBC) where the total capacity of IBCs containing dangerous goods on the vehicle is more than 3000 litres, or the IBC is packed or unpacked on the vehicle

A licence is still required to transport an empty receptacle, unless it is free of dangerous goods as defined in the Australian Code for the Transport of Dangerous Goods by Road & Rail.

The licence is only issued to drivers who reside in Victoria. The licence is not issued to drivers who hold an L plate (learners permit) or a P plate (probationary or provisional driver licence).

This licence applies to transporting the following dangerous goods:

  • Class 2 – gases like LPG.
  • Class 3 – flammable liquids like petrol, kerosene, turpentine, flammable paints.
  • Class 4 – flammable solids and substances that are spontaneously combustible or dangerous when wet, like sulphur.
  • Class 5 – oxidising substances and organic peroxides like ammonium nitrate (ammonium nitrate is also a high consequence dangerous good and requires an additional separate licence to access).
  • Class 6.1 – toxic substances like pesticides.
  • Class 8 – corrosive substances like hydrochloric acid.
  • Class 9 – miscellaneous substances like bitumen.

Class 1 – explosives are not included on a dangerous goods driver licence.

A dangerous goods driver licence is valid for up to 5 years. You can apply to renew a licence before the expiry date. New or updated documents will need to be supplied to ensure the licence details remain current.

The licence may be issued with conditions. An example is regularly providing WorkSafe with a driving history report or medical report.

Associated licences

Getting ready to apply for a new licence or renew a licence

Before you can apply for a dangerous goods driver licence you need to:

Renew a licence

Link your current licence to view it in your myWorkSafe account. You can then apply to renew your licence online.

Login to myWorkSafe and find your current DDR licence under 'My licences'.

Receiving the licence

We will make a decision on your licence application, and write to you with that decision, within 28 days of receiving your application.

If your licence application is approved you'll be able to access the digital licence immediately in myWorkSafe.

We'll also send a plastic card licence in the mail which you should receive in 20 to 25 business days from the date of the decision.

Fee summary

Contact WorkSafe's licensing branch

To check the progress of an application or if you need assistance, contact the Licensing Branch at:

Licensing Branch
PO Box 279
Geelong Vic 3220

Phone 1300 852 562
Fax 1800 060 727
Email [email protected]

Related information