Dangerous goods driver licence

A licence that allows you to drive a vehicle transporting dangerous goods.

About the licence

This licence allows you to drive a vehicle transporting dangerous goods.

You must hold a dangerous goods driver licence to drive a licensed vehicle carrying dangerous goods if the:

  • dangerous goods are in a receptacle with a capacity of more than 500 litres or 500 kilograms
  • goods are in an Intermediate Bulk Container (IBC) and total capacity of all IBCs containing dangerous goods on the vehicle is more than 3000 litres.

Dangerous goods include materials such as:

  • flammable liquids (petrol, kerosene, turpentine, flammable paints etc.)
  • corrosives (hydrochloric acid)
  • flammable gases (LP Gas)
  • non-flammable non-toxic gases (CO2).


  • the vehicle must also hold a licence to transport dangerous goods (refer to Dangerous goods licences: Vehicle licence)
  • you must be a resident of Victoria to apply for this licence.

Before you start your application

You will be required to supply the following documents as part of your application:

  • proof of identity documents
  • a driver commercial health assessment – medical certificate
  • proof of passing a WorkSafe approved test or course by a Registered Training Organisation (refer to Service provider directory below)
  • demerit point extract and conviction report for at least the last five years, dated no more than six months prior to your application. This can be purchased from VicRoads or interstate authority
  • Certificate of Competency (Unique Training ID).