Applying for government support

Centrelink have a range of different services and payments you may be able to access after your weekly wage entitlement ends.


Services available

Centrelink have a range of different services and payments you may be able to access after your weekly wage entitlement ends.

Accessing Centrelink payments is different for everyone and Centrelink makes the final decision on what people can access.

There are also supports available through the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).

First step: register a myGov account

Everybody who is registering for Centrelink payments or the NDIS requires a myGov account. This will give you a Customer Reference Number (CRN).

myGov is a single inbox for your messages, letters and payment details from government services such as Centrelink, Medicare, NDIS, child support, the Australian Taxation Office and others.

You can create a myGov account by visiting Once you have a myGov account you can apply for different services and supports.

If you don't have access to a computer or find accessing the internet difficult - you can drop into your local Centrelink Service Centre for assistance.

Phone 132 307 for your nearest Centrelink Service Centre.


Payment and Service Finder

If you are unsure about what payment or service you might be eligible for, check out Centrelink's 'Payment and Service Finder' on the homepage.

This helps you find, estimate and compare payments and services you may be eligible for.

You will need to answer questions about your circumstances and then list the payments and the estimated rates that you may be eligible for.

Applying for a payment

You will need to obtain and supply separation certificates from every employer you've finished working for in the last 12 months, plus a copy of the WorkSafe letter indicating your access to weekly benefits are ceasing.

You can start a Centrelink claim up to four weeks before your weekly entitlements cease by signing into your myGov account and going to Centrelink online. Once you begin the claim, Centrelink will let you know the other documents they require. You will need to submit these within 14 days of starting your claim.

You will also need to book an appointment with Centrelink so they can discuss your circumstances. After you’ve booked your appointment and provided the requested documents you can submit your claim.

It is important to submit your claim on the same day as you book your appointment. If you forget, Centrelink will cancel your appointment.

If you are unable to complete your registration and claim for Centrelink online, contact the Centrelink Service Centre on 13 28 50 and follow the prompts to arrange an appointment at one of the centres.

Common documents you will need to provide

Centrelink will usually ask for:

  • proof of identify – at least three documents to confirm your identify such as an Australian birth certificate, driver licence and electricity bill
  • employment termination – a separation certificate from every employer you’ve finished working for in the last 12 months and/or your WorkSafe letter advising your access to weekly benefits has ceased
  • bank details – bank balances for you and your partners' accounts
  • income evidence – proof of any income you and your partner have, such as your last payslips (if you have any type of employment)

Checking the progress of your claim

Sign into your Centrelink online account or Express Plus Centrelink mobile app and use the Claim Tracker to follow a claim’s progress. There’s no need to call or visit a service centre.

Centrelink will communicate the result through their claim tracker, your myGov inbox or through electronic messaging.

This might include if your claim was successful, when your payment starts or how much you will get.

Expect to hear from Centrelink within 21 days of lodging your claim. If they need more information they will send a message to your myGov inbox. If you think they have made a mistake, you can ask them to review the decision.


To access the NDIS you must live in an area where the NDIS is available. In some of these areas, you also need to be a certain age.

To become an NDIS participant you must:

  • have a permanent impairment that significantly affects your ability to take part in everyday activities, or have a developmental delay
  • be aged less than 65 when you first apply to enter the NDIS
  • live in Australia in an NDIS area on a specified date
  • be an Australian citizen or hold a permanent visa or a Protected Special Category visa

This is so the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) can determine whether you meet the disability or early intervention access requirements, you may need to provide evidence of your disability. This includes information on what your disability is, how long it will last and its impact on your life. A health professional can provide evidence of disability and functional impact through:

  • a NDIS Supporting Evidence Form
  • in the Access Request Form
  • via existing assessments or reports

Phone: 1800 800 110 Monday to Friday, 8am - 11pm (local time).

For people with hearing or speech loss using a teletypewriter (TTY) call 1800 555 677.

Speak and Listen users can call 1800 555 727.

For people who need help with English, call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450.